As one of Indiana's U.S. Senators, it gives me great pride to have the opportunity to nominate outstanding young people from our state to the Armed Forces’ service academies. Our nation’s prestigious service academies provide young men and women with a top-quality college education and prepare them for successful careers as officers in the military. -Joe
All candidates applying for a congressional nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to a service academy:
- Be a U.S citizen and legal resident of the State of Indiana.
- Be at least 17 years of age and not past their 23rd birthday (25 for the Merchant Marine Academy).
- Be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- The acceptance of an appointment to a United States service academy commits a candidate to five years of active duty service after graduation.
Senator Donnelly's office is accepting applications now through September 14th.
More information about the application process:
U.S. MILITARY ACADEMIES
Three of the the academys reside within the Department of Defense:
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
One resides within the Department of Transportation:
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
One resides within the Department of Homeland Security:
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
Candidates will be evaluated using a competitive system recommended by the academies. The selection process includes a personal interview, and a review of your application, essays, academic records, letters of recommendation, community involvement, character and leadership experience.
Please note that a congressional nomination is not a guarantee of admission. The final decision will be made by the academy itself following a “whole-person” evaluation that considers a candidate’s character, scholarship, leadership, physical aptitude, medical fitness, goals and motivation.
If you have questions about service academy deadlines, events, or selection process, please contact Senator Donnelly's Office at (317) 226-5555.